Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Where's My Invitation to the Pants Party?

**I posted this today at TehBias.com and thought I'd add it here for all to enjoy my noobishness and humilation in regards to my first time in Oblivion:

I wanted to give my first impressions as a little bit of a RPG Noob. I've played Jade Empire and Fable but it seems like Oblivion is geared slightly towards a more tradtional RPG. (Aside from the turn based combat which I've never tried and frankly scares the crap out of me.)

Here we go:

I basically wandered around in circles in the Dungeon for a good 15 minutes. I had no idea what I was doing or how anything worked. I couldn't figure out how to get the key/lockpick I needed and it was just way too dark in there. (Yes, I know...Ambience and all of that but still...) Anyhoo, my light at the end of the tunnel was a friend of mine wanted to chat. Thank God! He basically listened patiently as I whined and occasionally screamed as rats kept attacking me from behind. He led me right through, teaching me the mechanics and whatnot and how to pick up objects upon which I started picking up everything I found. Soon after I became "too encumbered" and had to drop some stuff which included my original "prison garb" which I didn't need anymore because I had found and equipped a heavier armor of this leather getup, a shield and a rusty iron helmet.

So far, so good...I head off to meet the Emperor, hitting way too dark hallways along the way and not being able to see squat (not even my character). Sheesh. So I'm chatting with my friend, who is so graciously helping me figure out what I need to be doing when I finally come into the light. (literally) Woo hoo! Unfortunately, I finally get a good look at my character and notice something odd.

Here's the conversation that led up to and followed (Read: Me talking partly to myself and partly to my friend):

"Hey, where the heck is the bridge?" "How do I get out of here?" "Where the hell am I?" "RAT!!!" "Bastards snuck up on me again!" "What am I suppose to be doing?" "Aaaaiiiiieeeeee! GOBLINS!" "Why can't I go this way?" "Whew, finally some light!"

"Wait...what the...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!" "Where the hell are my pants?" "Crap, I threw away my other pants!" "I can't walk around like this, it's so unsanitary!" "Eeewwwwww!"

(I later found out I could use a torch to see better...Duh! And yes, I finally found some pants in the next town over. ) All in all, I am a little overwhelmed by the game but I'm hoping to pick up speed soon!
Related Posts with Thumbnails