Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Delusions of Gamedeur

Games bring forth a lot of emotions from most gamers: the thrill of beating a difficult level or boss, the frustration of not beating a difficult level or boss, the joy of hearing the little ding that tells you you've made that last achievement...it goes on and on...

Games also take you out of your everyday life to deal with the problems of someone else for a while. Whether it's Master Chief's fight against the Covenant, Gordon Freeman's fight against the Combine or the Zuma frog's fight against those colored balls that hate him so much for some reason. You're fighting for them but you're not really them.

For me, the true "Delusions of Gamedeur" come from games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I mean, who doesn't want to be a rock star? Sure, I love the feeling I get as I decimate half the ninja population in Ninja Gaiden II and I love knowing that baddie ain't getting up again once he gets a taste of my grenade in G.R.A.W. (and I hopefully I didn't take myself down with him in the process) but there's something to be said about the pure ownership that you only get with Rock Band. Name your band, create a logo, design the perfect outfit and let's not forget the fans....sweet sweet fans....Have others join your band and for one brief shining moment, ...you are that band...you are there...

And that's not a bad place to be....
Related Posts with Thumbnails