Thursday, July 12, 2007

ICandee's Top Five: Retro Games Edition

My new favorite website: retrojunk.com. Why is it my new favorite site? Because at 30 years old I am already retro and apparently this is where my childhood has gone to die (or be fondly remembered, whatever). But what makes this site really great is that they have a commercials section: woo hoo! Nothing better than cheesy commercials from days of yore...ahhhh, smell the moldy smell of materialism...Therefore, please to enjoy

ICandee's Top Five: Retro Video Game Commercials

1. Super Mario Bros 2 (NES)-I realize that for Mario purists this game was a travesty, but my brother had this game and I do remember loving it (I could choose to play as Princess Peach!!):



2. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600)-Oh yeah baby, this was craptacular! My favorite part of this commercial however is the "Ethel Merman" Ms. Pac-Man singing "Don't you know, I'm more than Pac-Man with a bow!".



3. Atari's "Buy One Get One Free" campaign-Ah valley girls...where would the 80's be without you? This commercial makes me mortified to have grown up in the 80's and yes, I did talk like this sometimes...God help me, I did...



4. The Legend of Zelda (NES)-Best part of this commercial: "Whoa, nice graphics!". The rapping nerd is a nice touch too though. "Your parents help you hook it up!"



5. Nintendo Power Glove (NES)-Ah yes...the power glove...I guess we can't laugh too loud, Nintendo did change it to a remote like shape years later...


 


And there you have it, my top 5 video game commercials: retro style. Ever notice that video game commercials these days aren't really directed at kids anymore? I'd like to leave you with this last gem from the good 'ole days...A Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon entitled "Kootie Pie Rocks" wherein Princess Peach goes to see her favorite music group...Milli Vanilli.


OK, now I'm off to see if all of my E3 goodies are done downloading yet. If everyone could pause their downloads so that mine may finish, I would greatly appreciate it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails